As the younger sister, I always found myself in competition with my older sister's accomplishments. I remember, however, the day when I realized that there were just some things that she could do that I could not. That was a hard lesson for me to learn. For a while I was able to keep up, doing the things that she did, even if I didn't enjoy it.
I remember the time that she did really well in a tryout for a special competition band. My dad ordered a collection of balloons that were tied to a bucked of candy to congratulate her. I WANTED that! I decided that in order to get my candy bucket, I'd try out for that band the next year and I'd do well, and dad would get me a balloon bouquet, too.
I did tryout. I didn't get in, and I didn't get my balloons... ever.
I realized after that painful tryout that I bombed, that I didn't really enjoy this competitive side to music so much. I got all nervous, and even the things I could do, I messed up! I could play well, but just enough to get by, not enough to stand out.
I realized that she had a gift that I did not. We were, in fact, different. Hmmm....
As we have aged- that's right, I said it- I have been able to appreciate our differences and not covet her proverbial balloon bouquets. I have realized that different things make us tick, but we are cut from the same cloth and for that, I love her endlessly.
I appreciate that she can do a lot of things really well that I can not, and that she is willing to try things that I would never!
Saturday, my sister ran a marathon. All those miles, she ran every one! She finished, I hear, in style; no tears, no collapse, no heart attack! She did well. I am so proud of her. I am so happy, too, that I've learned to be happy for her and not feel the need to compete. I'm perfectly okay with her running and not me! She's officially my hero!
2 comments:
I just cried a little. Don't tell anybody.
Oh, and she writes better, too!
Just noticed I left out a comma.
Post a Comment