Monday, July 19, 2010

Kumbaya

As a kid, I packed it up and went to camp every summer. This summer is my kids' first go-round with life on their own... kind of.

This morning, I went to drop of the big girls feeling a bit rough myself, since the baby decided to throw up in her crib. After that, she decided she wanted to jump in my bed, of course, at three A.M, of course! So, lack of sleep, lack of shower, and I realize I have to (GULP) go in! I looked as though I had just thrown on some flip flops and ran out the door because, well... that's exactly what happened.

As I walked up to the camp's main building, I thought to myself, this seemed so big when I went here. I mean, I could probably throw a ball from one end of the campus to the other, lengthwise and I'm not getting called up to the majors any time soon. When I was my kid's age, I remember thinking that it was a good walk to anywhere there. It's odd how perspective changes with age.
In thinking that our perspective changes, I gained some hope. I've been feeling like I'm getting old, as in, "the old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be." But you know, maybe I was never as fast, as athletic, or energetic as I thought I was. Maybe it's not that I'm getting old, but I've realized what I truly am with grown-up eyes.

So, as my kids learn all the great camp songs this week that I learned when I was a kid, I'm going to re-charge my batteries, and tell myself the truth. I never was as fast as I thought, and I'm not as old as I feel.

No comments: